Minh Mang Tomb (also known as Hieu Son Tomb) was started work in 1840, however, while the construction was carrying out, Minh Mang King passed away in 1841. Thieu Tri who was his son, succeeded to the throne and took over the responsibility for the tomb building. It was not until 1843 that the construction had been completed.
Minh Mang Tomb is a complex of architecture including about 40 different buildings such as palaces, castles, temples… which were located in length way from Dai Hong Mon to La Thanh behind King’s grave.
Minh Mang Tomb is divided into main areas:
Dai Hong Mon: the main gate which has 3 ways with 24 beautiful-decorated roofs. The main gate opened only one time to enter the coffin to the tomb. After that, only the 2 sub-gates, Ta Hong Mon and Huu Hong Mon have been used to go in and out.
Bi Dinh: the large yard including 2 statues rows of mandarins, elephants and horses. Bi Dinh located on Phung Son hill which has the “Thanh Duc Than Cong” stele written by Thieu Tri King to praise the credit of Minh Mang.
Palace area: used to worship King and Queen
Buu Thanh (the wall around grave): this round wall is covered by new moon-shaped lake named Tan Nguyet. Over the Thong Minh Chinh Truc bridge which has 33 stone steps crossing the lake is the rest place of the King. His grave lies in the center of the Khai Trach Son hill inside Buu Thanh.
Minh Mang tomb has not only the imposing, impressive beauty but also the charm of nature